Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pork Tenderloin

One of the things I've been doing more since I quit my job is cooking. I've always had my standard fall backs that I make, but I never really had time (or the desire to cook for one before) to try new recipes. I've tried a couple so far this summer, and some have been successful, and others not so successful. I tried them before I started blogging again though, so I'm not posting the recipes until I try them again. Ha! But really, I've been trying to cook more to save money from eating out, which gobbles money like no other and is actually quite bad for you!

This month I've been discovering the joy of my crockpot as of late, and thought I'd share a recipe I tried tonight.

INGREDIENTS
1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet. Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat. Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and I enjoyed it. I think, if anything, it was a little too salty...even though I used lite soy sauce! I would make it again though, as it is easy and quite flavorful. Pork tenderloin is already good like that, but this just added to it. I served it with rice and put some of the sauce over it, and corn on the cob (only because we have so much corn right now we are eating it pretty much every other night as our vegetable...). I then made strawberry shortcake for dessert (nothing special...got the recipe off the Bisquick box!).

I think I might have gained 10 pounds today and most of it was from dinner (and the fact I can still barely move and haven't really been exercising....).

If you have any yummy recipes you think I should try, let me know...I'm all for it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails