Monday, September 1, 2008


Yes, Trivet. Not Pivot.

Last night, B cooked a nice dinner of catfish and potatoes. I mentioned to him that it would be nice if we had the plates that go under the serving dishes/plates to keep the table from getting burnt (because that would happen to us). Maybe, I should add them to the registry? He thought it was a good idea, so after dinner when we were relaxing in front of the tv (don't do that often anymore), I got online to look for them.

"What are they called, exactly?" I asked.
"Hot plates."

I search for hot plates.

"No, that seems to be the wrong thing."
"Hot pads."

I search for hot pads. Nope. I start typing in random words. Cooling plate. Table protector. Cooling pad. I even google, "how to stop my table from getting burnt". When that doesn't work, I try Yahoo search (because B likes it better then google), and try mats to stop burning table. None of these work. What the heck?

B even talks to his mom and asks what they are. She insists they are hot pads. Well, funny that is what we both called it in our homes as children, but that doesn't seem to be what the world out there calls them.

Finally, probably 30-45 minutes later, I find them. I can't remember how at this point. I believe I may have been looking at placemats in hopes they would show up as a similar item. But there they are, on Bed Bath and Beyond's site. Trivets. Yup. I had no idea (how'd they even come up with that name?). But now you know.

Trivets protect your table from getting burnt.


Blue said...

according to Wikipedia:

A trivet (pronounced /ˈtrɪvɨt/), also known as a 'hot plate,' is an object placed between a serving dish or bowl, and a dining table, usually to protect the table from heat damage.

Trivet also refers to tripods used to elevate pots from the coals of an open fire. (The word trivet itself ultimately comes from Latin tripes meaning "tripod".) Metal trivets are often tripod-like structures with three legs to support the trivet horizontal in order to hold the dish or pot above the table surface. A trivet may often contain a receptacle for a candle that can be lighted to keep food warm.

Modern trivets are made from metal, wood, ceramic, fabric, or silicone.

I had an experience like this once upon a time trying to figure out what a leotard with sleeves and shorts was called. Unitard anyone? (I felt like one after all the hours googling and looking!)

Lamia said...

Interesting to know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails