Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Attachments

B called me yesterday to tell me that someone was interested in buying one of our vehicles. Our little truck to be exact. We weren't exactly looking to sell it. But, if we could sell it, wouldn't it be a good idea? Normally, if someone were to tell me they were interested in buying my vehicle, I'd jump at the chance. I'm lucky that since my dad once worked for GM, that we get the discount there when we buy a new car/truck, whatever. It actually means, that many times if we sell our vehicles, that we make money... My dad was a stickler for not keeping a car too long because eventually they become money traps. I've always stuck by that.

But the truck the person is interested in...I'm attached to. Silly to be attached to this metal thing? Probably. But, the reason I'm so attached to it is that it was my dad's last vehicle. We've kept the truck the last four a half years despite the fact it was never really needed. My mom had it for over 3.5 of those years, and it mostly just sat in her garage, unless I was there and used it. She gave it to me and B for a very cheap price and we've used it quite a bit. We already had 2 vehicles...a big truck (much needed for farm life and hauling) and a trailblazer (my vehicle which I love) and both were kinda gas guzzlers. We felt the little truck was a great addition in a time when gas prices were high and we could use it around the farm with no problem. Not to mention, I'd always loved the truck, and it had special meaning since it had been my dad's...

So this person will buy it. In my brain, I know that getting rid of it now is the smartest thing to do. We'd lower our insurance costs. Do we really need 3 vehicles for 2 people? We could use the money we'd make to pay off 2 of our current loans, to free up more money in our budget each month. Granted, if gas prices went back up, we'd be without a little vehicle to tool around in, and paying more in gas. But, I have a feeling the money saved, would probably balance it out in the end. I know my dad would probably knock me upside the head if I passed the opportunity to sell it now...before it got any older and the value went down even more.

But, that emotional attachment to it...makes it so hard for me. I wish I could be like so many people I know who don't get attached to things. I'm a packrat because of it and it hurts me when I do end of getting rid of them.

I'll let you know what the final decision is...

4 comments:

What A Card said...

Boy, that is a tough one! You have valid reasons to keep it or sell it...not an easy choice by any stretch!

Good luck with the decision!

Kristen said...

I'm sure you'll do what feels right!

Aleta said...

I remember watching one of those cable shows where the people have to "clean out" the clutter and many times the women have difficult times letting go of items, because of the emotional value. The person who ran the show explained that the emotions would always be there, but the women didn't need to cling to the item.

Maybe if you took a picture of yourself by the truck, let that be the memory for you. Think about what your Dad would say and what you truly want. You'll find the answer there...

Tara Bennett said...

I'm the same as you. I've been very attached to all of my vehicles, but as long as the buyer seems to love the vehicle too then I can usually pass it along. But I keep pictures and reminisce. My point is, you're not weird for getting attached to things. Good luck with your decision!

Related Posts with Thumbnails