Monday, February 9, 2009

Memory Monday

Jamblogging

I'm trying something new today, and participating in Memory Monday from Jam's Own Reality. I've been kinda stuck with what I want to write about lately (well...not totally, I have lots of ideas, just not really feeling the passion to write them). I saw this on Kristen's blog and thought it seemed fun.

I used to be a figure skater and it was a big part of my life for 11 years. I quit almost 10 years ago (I still find that hard to believe). January, February and March are the big months for skating...when the big competitions are.

This is me, shortly after I began skating. I believe I was probably 7 or 8 here. Originally, I skated by myself and on a team. We had just finished a competition when my mom snapped this shot.

I trained hard for several years, and the work paid off. In 1993, when I was 12, I went to Mini-Nationals at the lowest level you can go, and placed third. I got nervous, and had I not, it is quite possible I could have won. I made a lot of mistakes in my free program. This is the medal podium from that competition.

My dream though, was to always skate pairs, and after placing third at Mini-Nationals, I started looking for a partner. I found one and the first year we were together, we placed second at Nationals at the Novice level. This is us competing our short program.

After three more years filled with injuries and illness and not performing up to expectation at Nationals (I got pnemonia before Nationals one year, then had an ankle sprain the next, and we both suffered from herniated discs in our backs...) we won at the Junior level. This is me and my partner (in the yellow) and our families after the Exhibition of Champions. I would have loved to have shown you pictures from the performance/podium, but those are still in a box somewhere.

Unfortunately, after this year, I started to suffer from a really bad eating disorder and the next year we ended our partnership. Regardless though, my skating is something that I am proud of, although it is at times, difficult to remember the dreams that now are not attained. Not many people can say they got to compete on the level that we did, and for that I am grateful.

Thanks for remembering with me! :)

7 comments:

FROGGITY! said...

that is amazing! i am sure that was such a liberating, fun sport/art. you go girl. i am sorry to hear about your eating disorder and illnesses...i know that must be painful to think about... but it is so good that you can look back with fond memories on everything!!

Mama Wheaton said...

Thank you for sharing your memories. Do you ever skate for fun now?

Leslie said...

What a great memory! Every time I watch the winter Olympics I wish I were an ice skater. The skaters always make it look so easy and elegant. Than I get out there and fall on my butt. Your post reminds me of the dedication and difficulties that are involved.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and sharing your memory with us!

ann ominous said...

very cool... i think one of my current students might have done some of the same things as you. she's a super talented and smart girl, must run in the sport :-)

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

What a wonderful opportunity!! I have always loved skating and as a girl it was my dream. But alas, I had less than zero talent.

I am sad the way things turned out for you, but happy you feel it was such a good experience. Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

Wow learn something new everyday with you!
That is so neat that youcould do that. i love to watch figure skating and wish I could be a little graceful on ice...on land too :-)

Thanks for sharing this and I can't wait to see what else is in your boxes :-)

Anonymous said...

You look so cute!


Yeah, the husband and I often discuss the 'eating disorder' sports....skating, ballet, gymnastics, wrestling, etc...and whether when we have kids we will allow them to do such sports.

Glad you have moved beyond your illness to live a healthy life and are still able to appreciate who you were then.

Related Posts with Thumbnails